FW: open source software

Dear Heriberto,

During the last ten years, our lab (ExpORL, K.U.Leuven) has developed
a test platform specifically designed for psychophysical and
behavioural experiments with acoustic stimulation (purely acoustic,
via a cochlear implant or the two simultaneously).
Our platform is called APEX and the current version is APEX 3. It is
open source and freely available from
http://www.kuleuven.be/exporl/apex
It currently works on Linux and Windows, but should be portable to MacOS too.

Our recent paper in the Journal of Neuroscience methods gives an
overview of the possibilities (Francart T, van Wieringen A, Wouters J.
APEX 3: a multi-purpose test platform for auditory psychophysical
experiments.  J Neurosci Methods. 2008 Jul 30;172(2):283-93).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18538414

It is currently used in nearly all perceptual studies in our lab and
in tens of other labs worldwide.

We mostly use touch screens instead of response boxes (such as the
Mimo MU-740) but you could easily use a USB device such as the
IOWarrior (http://www.codemercs.com/index.php?id=127&L=1) if you want
to make a custom response box. In APEX we use the IOWarrior to provide
feedback with LEDs in our sound localization setup.

best regards,
Tom

--
Tom Francart, PhD
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven		Tel: +32 16 330476