Re: [AUDITORY] Biases in career evolution

Dear all,

I also agree with David. When you are outside North America it is very clear. Most of the journals we publish are of an "American Society" of something. Then the editorial list is also mostly from this geographic area. I am no way implying these journals are biased, but it is good to be aware that our own perspectives may be shaped and limited by where we are looking from. Why is it such a hurtful idea that it raises such strong reactions?

Now, about the topic of bias in science: I will reiterate what others said, please do watch "Picture a scientist," there is still 2 more days. It is heart wrenching. And as quoting from a person who has done a lot of research on this topic ".. today the evidence is so much clear that he need not rely on his own experience. He just needs to look at the data. That's what he's want us to do for his science." Now Helia did just that and sent us two papers (one in PNAS, if that is your kind of thing) on status bias. I think there was no reply to this, other than "I have not seen it myself." Well, for  what it is worth it, here is another one, title "Gender differences in peer reviewed grant applications, awards, and amounts: a systematic review and meta-analysis":

Let me also mention that another very well established and very successful auditory scientist, Monita Chatterjee, started this BIPOC-CSD network:

There was a special session at ASA conference, organized by yet another well established and successful scientist, Ben Munson, on "Infusing Social Justice in Speech and Hearing Acoustics Pedagogy: Principles and Case Studies."  It was incredibly eye-opening to see even in our research where we think our samples represent general society actually rarely do:

If they are putting all this effort into these activities instead of working on own career advancement with publications and grants, there must be a good reason?

If we really insist on personal experience, rather than data, I can also do that. I can match yours' experiences with "well, I have seen it myself and many times over as an AE in multiple journals and having published heavily" over the years. I have seen some well-established and respected scientists (and people I personally like very much) entirely ignoring reviewers' comments that no early-career person would ever dare to do... but also, in those situations, why are we even wasting reviewers' previous time?

Like David, I am not yet sold to the idea of pre-prints, and I only do it when our students or a colleague convince me. But this is because at this point I can get away with it (=privilege), and that I would rather put my time into supporting my students, mentees, and all others who need it in the field. If there is a new form of publishing/disseminating that seems less-biased with fairer opportunities but still has some quality control, we will adapt.

Again, just to clarify, our community is very friendly and welcoming. I would hate it if anyone takes any of these comments personally here, because success is well deserved, it is never served to anyone on a golden tray, and these emails are not meant as an attack to a person. We want to keep our community safe, friendly, and supportive. But we also need to keep it open-minded, questioning our own views, we need to listen to the concerns of others that may differ from our own experiences, and be flexible and ready to improve where needed.

Best,
Deniz

--------------------------
Prof. dr. ir. D. Başkent
Speech Perception Lab (dB SPL)
Department of Otorhinolaryngology
School of Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience (BCN)
W.J. Kolff Institute for Biomedical Engineering and Materials Science
University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG)
University of Groningen (RUG)
Tel: +31 (0) 50 3612540 (KNO Office)
Mobile: ‭+31 6 25651377‬
Visiting address: UMCG, Hanzeplein 1, Room P4.220
Website (also for dB SPL): dbaskent.org