From: Les Bernstein <lbernstein@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 2:51 PM
To: Lesicko, Alexandria <Alexandria.Lesicko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [External] Re: arXiv web of trust

It is most unfortunate that you do not understand the distinctions between a simple difference between two values and the case when one is a reference.  If Fred earns market value for his work and John does not, it is not the case that Fred is privileged.  Fred and others should work to ensure that John is paid market value as well.  If you still fail or refuse to grasp the difference, then I cannot help you.

Indeed, the use of "privileged" implies it is undeserved.  Thank you for making my point!  I do not have privilege.  Rather, I believe I have been treated fairly.  The sad truth is that others have not been treated fairly and are not being treated fairly.  I never suggested that such societal inequities and injustices are irrelevant simply because some do not face them.  That's your invention.  I did say, that, in our field, I do not think such injustices are substantive.  It is not for me to acceded to your insistence that I prove the null hypothesis.  It is, rather, incumbent upon you to demonstrate that, in our field, such injustice exists in substantive fashion.

This is not about allies or "sides."  Your thinking reflects the corruption wrought by polarization.  I do not deny the societal ills identified.  I simply have a different view of how they arose and persist.  That they should be addressed is undeniable, as I see it.  Still, this is the Auditory List.  I limited my comments regarding the existence of injustices (or lack thereof), to our field.