Re: [AUDITORY] Sound level meter for earphone/headphone measurements

Hi Sebastian,

I considered this device myself some time ago. There are some thorough reviews (with measurements) online by headphone enthusiasts, but as you wrote, not many. Here is a useful one you might not have seen, I found it via a link on a audiosciencereview.com forum post:

https://www.soundstagesolo.com/index.php/features/152-is-minidsp-ears-the-death-of-headphone-measurement-or-its-savior

The deviations from the standards-compliant GRAS at high frequencies were enough to put me off. I guess you could buy one anyway and use these data to compensate your measurements, or make your own compensations if you have access to the BK system.

If you have the time but not the cash, another possibility is to buy a cheap artificial ear coupler and mic rig made in China from Aliexpress. Here is a post by someone who did this. Apparently the devices can work quite well at approximating the standards but considerable work is needed to get there because the supplied calibration data are poorly done.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/iec-60318-4-clone-coupler-is-it-worth-it.23865/

Sam