Re: [AUDITORY] converting masking thresholds to masker levels of speech sounds

Dear All,

The concept of masking thresholds depends on a priori knowledge of the signal that will be masked leading to differences in masking thresholds for noise like and sinus like degradations.

A better approach is to calculate internal representations that take into account time frequency spreading and inhibition. This approach is used in POLQA

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=16830

see also

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=7019

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18520