[AUDITORY] Summary - Cortical sources of auditory steady state response

Dear List,

Thank you to those who replied to my query.   A summary of responses is below. Apologies if I left anyone out by accident.

Ani Patel

Original query on Jan 19, 2020

Dear List,

Can anyone point me to recent work on cortical sources of the ~40 Hz auditory steady state response?

Some older papers argue that the sources are in auditory cortex, while others argue that there are multiple sources in different parts of the cortex, e.g.,:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1021470822922

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595504004009

I’m curious what the latest research suggests.

In my PhD I worked on the brain sources of ASSRs. Maybe the following papers can be helpful for you.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811919301338

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2019/12/03/859405.full.pdf

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811917300381

In short, I found that in addition to the primary sources in auditory cortex, some sources beyond auditory cortex (for example in motor area) are also responding to AM stimuli.

-          Ehsan D. Farahani

---

I’ve recently been doing some work on ASSR, including 40 Hz responses, so I think I might be able to point you towards some related studies. I must admit however I have not worked directly with localisation of ASSR sources with EEG or otherwise.

I think a great resource for you would be the work of Bernhard Ross: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Bernhard_Ross You can see back in 2005 and 2006 he has three papers dealing directly with the 40Hz ASSR. You might be able to find more recent papers though some of his co-authors who may be still working on ASSR.

You might also consider possible works related to the relatively recent paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29092566. I realise this if for a higher frequency range than your request, but it seems logical to me that 40 Hz responses would also be a superposition from various frequency tuned areas, in addition to perhaps higher order cortical processing.

I myself am much more in favour of a multi-source model, both in low and high frequency ranges. My own work recently has shown that 40 Hz responses can be greatly suppressed and redistributed when stimulated binaurally, but in interaural antiphase. Of course this doesn’t affect the subject ability to hear the stimulus, but the superposition of the combined responses of the neural generators is suppressive.

-          Sam Watson

---

We've looked at this a bit in relation to FFR (similar in flavor but more than just the envelope locking response).

https://www.memphis.edu/acnl/publications/pdfs/neuroimage2018.pdf

The references therein also cover known sources of ASSR. The Kuwada article is also a seminal paper to look at. Of course if you're at 40 Hz, you also have to think about brainstem contributions.

Kuwada, S., Anderson, J. S., Batra, R., Fitzpatrick, D. C., Teissier, N., & D'Angelo, W. R. (2002). Sources of the scalp-recorded amplitude-modulation following response. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 13(4), 188-204.

-          Gavin Bidelman

---

Not specifically 40 Hz, but plenty of evidence for greater frequency following at primary compared to non-primary auditory cortical sites for rates either side of 40 Hz, e.g. in Fig. 1 in https://www.jneurosci.org/content/39/44/8679  or Fig 2. in https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19675285-coding-of-repetitive-transients-by-auditory-cortex-on-heschls-gyrus/

-          Alex Billig

---

This work of Luc Arnal is promising and relevant I think, although not exactly addressing your issue.

and also this work from my group (very much neurophysiology based approach)

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/834226v1

-          Danielle Schon

---

We wrote a paper a few years back looking at the location of 40 Hz ASSRs in Neuroimage.

Luke, R., De Vos, A., & Wouters, J. (2017). Source analysis of auditory steady-state responses in acoustic and electric hearing. NeuroImage, 147, 568-576.

I spent quite some time looking at different methods of analysis, for the 40 Hz ASSR the results were very consistent as described in the article regardless of analysis approach (likely due to the high SNR at this modulation rate).

There is also some additional work from the last author (Prof Jan Wouters) that may be of interest to you.

-          Robert Luke

---

A few years ago we published a paper on 40-Hz ASSR in sedated and anaesthetised infants children (Mühler et al., 2014).  On the basis of our recordings we concluded that there is a robust brainstem component also for 40 Hz ASSR.

Reference

R Mühler, T Rahne, K Mentzel, J L Verhey “40-Hz multiple auditory steady-state responses to narrow-band chirps in sedated and anaesthetized infants”, International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 78 (2014) 762–768

-          Jesko Verhey

---

We have one recent paper - not accepted yet - with B. Morillon and D. Schön on the topic. With sEEG + MEG, we have shown cortical sources for ~ 60/80 Hz oscillatory responses distributed throughout the cortex : auditory cortex but also up to inferior frontal and motor cortical regions (see Figure 1).

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/834226v1

-          Jacques Pesnot Lerousseau.

----

 Our two recent papers may be relevant to your question, though not specifically on this issue. The data suggested that the sources are in auditory cortex.

Concurrent temporal channels for auditory processing: Oscillatory neural entrainment reveals segregation of function at different scales

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.2000812

Theta and Gamma Bands Encode Acoustic Dynamics over Wide-Ranging Timescales

https://academic.oup.com/cercor/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/cercor/bhz263/5637582

-          Xiangbin

End of responses