Re: [AUDITORY] Opinions and word lists of UK or US Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test?

Dear Enja,

We have used the Dutch PPVT in adult CI users (no adolescents). There are two points I like to mention on the PPVT in this population.

1). The norm-data were not suitable for a large part of the participants. Most scored the maximum score, making it difficult to discriminate between listeners (those listeners had different education levels). We used raw scores in our study (Kaandorp et al., 2015a).

2). In another study with young normal hearing listeners we found that lexical access ability was more related to speech recognition in noise than vocabulary size in three NH groups with a large range of language proficiency (including non-native listeners, Kaandorp et al., 2015b). We are currently finalizing an article on lexical access and vocabulary size in relation to speech recognition performance of adult CI users and I hope this will be available soon. Depending on what you want to measure in your participants, you might want to consider using lexical access as well in your study.

Kaandorp, M. W., Smits, C., Merkus, P., Goverts, S. T., & Festen, J. M. 2015a. Assessing speech recognition abilities with digits in noise in cochlear implant and hearing aid users. Int J Audiol, 54, 48-57.

Kaandorp, M. W., De Groot, A. M. B., Festen, J. M., Smits, C., & Goverts, S. T. 2015b. The influence of lexical-access ability and vocabulary knowledge on measures of speech recognition in noise. Int J Audiol (doi: 10.3109/14992027.2015.1104735).

Kind regards,

Marre Kaandorp

ir. M.W. (Marre) Kaandorp

Clinical physicist - audiologist

VU University Medical Center Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Section Ear & Hearing

EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research

E: mw.kaandorp@xxxxxxx

T: 020-4440969

De Boelelaan 1118 (PK 2Y 066), 1081 HV Amsterdam

Mailing adress: Postbus 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam

www.vumc.com

www.vumc.nl/socialemedia

www.vumc.nl/steun-ons

www.ac-vumc.nl

www.ci-vumc.nl

Disclaimer

This e-mail is confidential and may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message. VU University Medical Center accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic transmission of messages.