Re: need recommendation on PC sound card

On 21 Feb 2010 at 19:12, G. Robert Arrabito wrote:

> Dear listers,
>
> I did a quick search on the last two years of the
> auditory mailing list archives  on pc sound  card
> recommendations and didn't find much on the topic
> so hence  my post to the list. I am looking for
> recommendations for an internal PC high quality
> sound card that will be used to output auditory
> stimuli in my experiments. Would also be nice if
> there is an accompanying software development
> kit. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Before you go on a quest, you might want to test what you
already have.  Even built-in chipsets are pretty good at
sound output these days.  (Inputs are another matter. Line
In is OK, but Mic In still has a ways to go.)

You can try my Daqarta package with any standard Windows
card, internal or USB.  It currently only uses 16-bit mode,
but that may not be the limiting factor for stimulus output
unless you have a really quiet environment, *and* you need
to go from threshold to very loud in the same sequence.

Depending on exactly what stimuli you wish to produce, you
may not need any software development.  The Daqarta
Generator has wide range of options for waveform and
modulation.  You can create multiple "streams" and use them
to modulate other streams to produce extremely complex
stimuli, for example.

I'd be glad to advise on how to use Daqarta to create
whatever stimuli you have in mind.

Note that Daqarta is completely free for output-only uses.
Only the inputs are disabled after the trial period.  You
are welcome to use it forever that way.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

            D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
           www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator
    Science with your sound card!