Re: [Fwd: Re: cross-modality-size-loud]

Peter Lennox wrote:
Is there likely to be some pitch-with-resonance component? - ie, larger objects
have longer 'intrinsic reverberation' (body resonance) than smaller, other
things being equal (material, etc) - and this actually tends to be lower, for
larger objects

Yes. It is generally true in animal communication sounds. We have just written a chapter on it the next SHAR book. I can send you a preprint if you are interested.

Regards Roy Patterson

regards
ppl

Dr. Peter Lennox
S.P.A.R.G.
Signal Processing Applications Research Group
University of Derby
http://sparg.derby.ac.uk Int. tel: 3155

Bob Carlyon <bob.carlyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 17/09/2007 11:10 >>>

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: cross-modality-size-loudDate:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:56:55 +0100From: Jan Schnupp <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Reply-To:
Jan Schnupp <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
<001101c7f8bd$b7f802a0$3364f94d@Woonkamer>

Dear Peter,

if you hit a large bell and a small bell, how loud they are does not depend on
size, but on how hard you hit them. The larger the object the deeper the sound,
because resonant frequency is proportional to mass. So if there is a link with
size, then it should be pitch more than loudness.

Jan

On 17/09/2007, pieter jan stallen <pj.stallen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Dear List,Does
anyone know of  experimental psychological data reported which refutes (or not)
the hypothesis: the perception of object O as "has much of quality X"
predisposes to the perception also of "has much of quality Y"? E.g., is there
empirical evidence for cross-modal bonds like "large objects (much of size) are
loud objects (much of sound)" ? Although I see brain research approaching the
subject (e.g.  http://www.dhushara.com/pdf/synesthesia.pdf ) I have not (yet)
found so much empirical psychology about such metaphors. I may not have studied
carefully enough the synaestesia literature, but appreciate any more specific
'forwardings' then.Pieter Jan Stallen / Chair Community Noise Annoyance /
University of Leiden / Netherlands

--
Roy D. Patterson

http://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/cnbh/