cross-modality-size-loud

Dear List,

Does anyone know of  experimental psychological data reported which refutes (or not) the hypothesis: the perception of object O as ?has much of quality X? predisposes to the perception also of ?has much of quality Y?? E.g., is there empirical evidence for cross-modal bonds like "large objects (much of size) are loud objects (much of sound)" ?

Although I see brain research approaching the subject (e.g.  http://www.dhushara.com/pdf/synesthesia.pdf) I have not (yet) found so much empirical psychology about such metaphors. I may not have studied carefully enough the synaestesia literature, but appreciate any more specific ?forwardings? then.

Pieter Jan Stallen / Chair Community Noise Annoyance / University of Leiden / Netherlands