Re: Computational ASA -- how many sources can humans perceive?

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Valeriy Shafiro wrote:

> It makes sense that being able to listen to a recording of a real-world
> sound mixture or an orchestra more than once can help to identify
> individual sound sources.
> Possibly some people are just so much better at it than others,
> whether by nature or nurture.

Exactly my question. How much does this ability depend on training and/or
talent? Is anyone able to learn it? Are there any data on this?

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *   "Failure only begins
     e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu            *    when you stop trying"
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *