Re: Two helps

On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, Kevin Baker wrote:

> 1) I am looking for a cd to use in teaching auditory perception.
> Apparently the Houtsma et al 'Auditory Demonstrations' is not available
> any more, and I can't find anything else to use other than Risset's use
> of Sheppard tones (e.g. SUD) and Chowning's moving sounds (e.g. Turena).
> Can anyone help?

MIT Press will soon be bringing out an audio CD of illustrations of
auditory scene analysis, with a booklet of explanations keyed to my book,
Auditory Scene Analysis (1990).  It will contain 41 demonstrations, most
in mono (binaural) form but some in stereo (dichotic) form.

Here is the list:

1.  DIOTIC DEMONSTRATIONS (binaural, mono)

A. SEQUENTIAL INTEGRATION

     Stream segregation in a cycle of six tones.

     Pattern recognition, within and across perceptual streams.

     Loss of rhythmic information as a result of stream
     segregation.

     Cumulative effects of repetition on streaming.

     Segregation of a melody from interfering tones.

     Segregation of high notes from low ones in a sonata by
     Telemann.

     Streaming in East African xylophone music.

     Effects of a difference between pitch range of the two parts
     in East African xylophone music.

     Effects of timbre difference between the two parts in
     African xylophone music.

     Stream segregation based on spectral peak position.

     Stream segregation of vowels.

     Effects of connectedness on segregation.

     The effects of stream segregation on the judgment of timing.

     Stream segregation of high and low bands of noise

     Competition of frequency separations in the control of
     grouping.

     The release of a two-tone target by the capturing of
     interfering tones.

     Failure of crossing trajectories to cross perceptually.

B. SPECTRAL INTEGRATION

     Isolation of a frequency component based on mistuning.

     Fusion based on common frequency modulation - Illustration 1

     Fusion by common frequency modulation - Illustration 2

     Effects of rate of onset on segregation.

     Rhythmic masking release.

     Sine-wave speech.

     Role of frequency micro-modulation in voice perception

C. OLD-PLUS-NEW HEURISTIC

     Capturing a tonal component out of a mixture. Part 1

     Capturing a tonal component out of a mixture. Part 2

     Competition of sequential and simultaneous grouping.

     Apparent continuity: Tone interrupted by a noise, with
     increasing noise amplitude

     Perceptual continuation of a gliding tone through a noise
     burst.

     Absence of pitch extrapolation in the restoration of the
     peaks in a rising and falling tone glide.

     The picket-fence effect with speech.

     Homophonic continuity and rise time.

     Creation of a high-pitched residual by capturing some
     harmonics from a complex tone.

     Capturing a low band of noise from a wider band leaving a
     high band as a residual.

     Perceptual organization of sequences of narrow-band noises.

     Capturing a component glide in a mixture of glides.

     Changing a vowel's quality by capturing a harmonic.

2.  DICHOTIC DEMONSTRATIONS (stereo)

     Streaming by spatial location.

     Spatial stream segregation and loss of across-stream
     temporal information.

     Fusion of left- and right-channel noise bursts, depending on
     their independence.

     Effects of a location difference of the parts in East
     African xylophone music.

 - Al

Albert S. Bregman, Professor,  Dept of Psychology,  McGill University
1205 Docteur Penfield  Avenue,  Montreal,  Quebec,  Canada   H3A 1B1.
Phone: +1 514-398-6103 Fax: -4896 Email: bregman@hebb.psych.mcgill.ca