From: Matt Flax <flatmax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 3/22/24 05:43 (GMT+01:00)
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AUDITORY] Ifrasubs ruin hearing protection use cases

Most modern large PA setups now include infrasubs (< 20Hz amplification)
by default - and certainly most large venues do too.

This it turns out is a conundrum for hearing protection. For example my
"flattened" ear plugs give 13 dB or more hearing protection, but they
have a lower frequency limit. This means that I am still hearing
un-attenuated low frequency music. This may not seem like a problem,
however it suppresses the melodic (13 dB dampened) music when strong sub
bass is present - to the point where it sounds like you are listening to
gated sub bass with little else on top.

At this point I would like to steer this conversation away from a
discussion on what "quality music is" and keep it on the track of
suppression and if necessary then masking. Sometimes I feel that
psychoacoustics is the statistical model (AI) of hearing.

As frequency tuning curves typically have lower slope for lower
frequencies, the ear's physiology suppresses higher frequency signal
power. In the psychoacoustics world the frequency spreading functions of
masking models generate the upwards (frequency) spread of masking (as a
shameless plug, see Figure 3 here :
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Matthew-Flax/publication/3898361_Hybrid_auditory_masking_models/links/61dc0e7e4e4aff4a642f9514/Hybrid-auditory-masking-models.pdf)

Is this a commonly discussed issue yet ? I can't think of practical ways
to improve the sound quality of "flattened hearing protection devices"
at live venues with infrasubs, is anyone aware of any ?

Matt