From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Léo Varnet <leo.varnet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 10 June 2023 17:34
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] arXiv web of trust

Dear list,

I have been avidly following the recent discussion on this mailing list, initially centered around the merits of arXiv and the role of peer review. However, it appears that the conversation has taken an unexpected turn, shifting toward another crucial subject, namely the topic of power issues, prejudices, stereotypes and their impact on scientific careers.

Les, I must admit I found your remarks quite perplexing. They seemed so obviously at odds with numerous testimonies I have encountered throughout my relatively short career, with the studies and arguments previously put forward in the debate (the already-mentioned “Picture a scientist” is a very necessary documentary on the topic), not to mention a wealth of compelling (and peer-reviewed) empirical evidence that have not been mentioned yet, that I suspect there may be some misunderstanding at play in this discussion.

I have no intention of diving headfirst into the virtual battlefield. We all know how easily these discussions can devolve into futile Twitter-like debates that don't really get us anywhere. However, I do feel compelled to assure the younger members of this list that the opinion that "discriminatory factors [may not] be at play to a substantial degree" in the field is far from being consensual nor representative of the audition community. In fact there is a considerable number of scientists who recognize the profound impact that discrimination can have on the careers of scientists from historically marginalized groups and are wholeheartedly committed to fighting against them.

Now, I fully agree with Les' concluding remark: should the discussion in this thread continue, I hope it can refocus on the initial subject of preprints and the open-access dissemination of scientific findings rather than the topic of discriminatory factors which is potentially much trickier to address in such an open forum.

Best wishes

Léo

Léo Varnet - Chercheur CNRS
Laboratoire des Systèmes Perceptifs, UMR 8248
École Normale Supérieure
29, rue d'Ulm - 75005 Paris Cedex 05
Tél. : 06 33 93 29 34
https://lsp.dec.ens.fr/en/member/1066/leo-varnet