[AUDITORY] New Openings in Litovsky Lab, University of Wisconsin, USA

Ruth Litovsky’s lab is recruiting POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS and RESEARCH ENGINEERS to study the following topics: binaural hearing, electric-acoustic hearing, neurocognition and electrophysiology in children and adults.

New NIH-funded positions are now available in the Litovsky Lab at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Waisman Center. One project is in collaboration with Dr. Karen Gordon from Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto and a second project is in collaboration with Dr. Rene Gifford from Vanderbilt University. We will recruit participants with bilateral cochlear implants or electric-acoustic hearing to study auditory and cognitive functions that emerge with bilateral and bimodal hearing. Our methods include direct electrical stimulation with binaural research processors, eye tracking, EEG, fNIRS, speech unmasking and spatial hearing.

Ideal candidates for the postdoc position(s) will have a PhD in CSD, Experimental Psychology, Electrical/Computer Engineering, BME, auditory neuroscience or equivalent. Applicants will have strong computational  (e.g. Python, MATLAB, R) as well as experience with experiments and dissemination of research. Cochlear implant research and/or expertise in signal processing and programming is highly desired.

For the research engineer position a PhD is not required. Ideal candidates will have a degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, BME, auditory neuroscience or equivalent. In addition, prior experience in audio engineering and/or research involving humans is desirable.

The Litovsky lab (https://bhsl.waisman.wisc.edu/) offers a welcoming environment for learning, collaboration, career development and mentoring.

Our diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) statement (https://bhsl.waisman.wisc.edu/binaural-hearing-and-speech-lab-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-statement/) affirms that “We are committed to increasing DEI within our lab and all our spheres of influence. We define diversity as the range of identities that impact and influence how people behave and how they are perceived and treated. These include but are not limited to ethnicity, race, age, gender, religion, color, disability, language, dialect, sexual orientation, education, socioeconomic status, and values. We define equity as when individuals are treated fairly based on what they need, which also requires active removal of barriers and imbalances of power. Equity means individuals are provided the resources they need to have access to the same opportunities. We define inclusion as when all members feel that they are part of the intricate fabric of the lab community and feel welcome, heard, and included.”

The University of Wisconsin-Madison has a strong community in auditory science, neuroscience, psychology, biomedical engineering, communication sciences and disorders and related fields. The Waisman Center is a world-class research center focusing on improving the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Our state of the art research facilities and institutional support amidst a vibrant scientific community are nestled in Madison-WI, rated #1 most “livable” cities in the USA (https://livability.com/best-places/2022-top-100-best-places-to-live-in-the-us/).

Please send curriculum vitae, research interests, diversity statement, and names of three references to:

Ruth Litovsky, PhD

Ruth.litovsky@xxxxxxxx