[AUDITORY] Seminar Announcement - Sept. 13 - E.A.R.S. (Electronic Auditory Research Seminars)

Dear fellow neuroscientists,

We would like to invite you to join us tomorrow, September 13th at 1:00 pm EDT (UTC-4) for the next edition of E.A.R.S. (Electronic Auditory Research Seminars), a monthly auditory seminar series focused on central auditory processing and circuits.

IMPORTANT: Please note that we are migrating the seminars to Zoom. You can access the seminars here: https://pennmedicine.zoom.us/j/95396120820. This link is also posted on our website https://sites.google.com/view/ears2020/home. The E.A.R.S. subscriber list will migrate from Crowdcast to the ears-seminar google group, which you can join by emailing: ears2022+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or visiting the following the link: https://groups.google.com/g/ears2022. If you want to stay subscribed, there is no need to do anything, your email address will be automatically transferred.

Speakers:

  • Lixia Gao (Zhejiang University): “Development of turn-taking during marmoset vocal communication”
    • Vocal turn-taking is crucial for human speech communications. The same is true for arboreal living marmosets and several studies proved that social feedback could influence vocal development. However, it remains unclear when marmoset vocal turn-taking is formed and how parental vocal feedback shapes its development. In the current study, we found that one-day-old marmosets displayed alternating phee-phee vocal interactions in antiphonal calling scenarios, although a fair proportion of call pairs partly overlapped in duration. Newborn babies engaged in more frequently turn-taking phee interactions with less overlap as they grow older. Moreover, in comparison with marmosets without parental vocal feedback during early development, those raised with parents produced more phees with homogeneous sequences and indistinct time intervals. In addition, the types of calls produced by baby marmosets are scenario-dependent. These findings revealed that the vocal turn-taking of marmosets is predetermined and reinforced by parents’ vocal feedback, which further improves our understanding of speech development.

  • Amanda Lauer (Johns Hopkins University): “Role of the olivocochlear system in hearing across the lifespan”
    • Changes in the ascending peripheral and central auditory pathways associated with acquired hearing loss have been well-characterized, but we know comparatively little about how the descending projections from the brain to the cochlea contribute to acquired hearing deficits. Emerging studies have shown dynamic structural changes in the olivocochlear system associated with acoustic experience and age which may be both compensatory and maladaptive. Here I will summarize our laboratory’s efforts to understand how the olivocochlear efferent pathways are involved in hearing dysfunction across the lifespan and highlight areas for future research.

Additional upcoming E.A.R.S seminars (1:00 pm ET):

  • 10/11/2022:
    • Karine Fenelon (University of Massachusetts Amherst)
    • Malte Wöstmann (Universität zu Lübeck)
  • 11/01/2022: Professional Development session
  • **12/13/2022**: Trainee Talks  (please note that this date has been updated since our last announcement)

With kind wishes,

Maria Geffen

Yale Cohen

Steve Eliades