[AUDITORY] Final extended deadline for submitting to special collection of Music & Science on "Explaining Music with AI"

Dear colleagues,

We have decided to extend the deadline for submitting to our special collection of the journal, Music & Science (https://journals.sagepub.com/home/mns) on "Explaining Music with AI: Advancing the scientific understanding of music through computation". The new deadline is 12:00 noon GMT on Saturday 1 October 2022.

Please note that there will be no further extension to the deadline.

We have included the final call below for your information.

We very much look forward to receiving your submissions!

Kind regards,
Dave, Anja & Tom

                       Final Call for Papers:

          Special Collection on Explaining music with AI:
 Advancing the scientific understanding of music through computation

    Final Extended Deadline for submission of full manuscripts:
              12:00 noon GMT on Saturday 1 October 2022

       Guest edited by David Meredith, Anja Volk & Tom Collins

In recent  years, a huge  number of publications, particularly  in the
areas  of  music  information  retrieval and  music  generation,  have
reported on projects in which deep learning neural network models have
been  used successfully  to carry  out a  wide variety  of generation,
regression and  classification tasks  on musical  data. This  work has
significantly contributed  to the arsenal of  computational tools that
we have  at our disposal, if  we want to explore,  organise, create or
simply enjoy digital music resources.

However, the majority of such models  are “black box” models that have
thousands  or  even millions  of  free  parameters, whose  values  are
determined through training on, typically,  large amounts of data. The
computing pioneer, John von Neumann,  allegedly joked, “With four free
variables I can  fit an elephant and  with five I can  make him wiggle
his  trunk”  (Freeman Dyson,  2004,  “A  meeting with  Enrico  Fermi”,
Nature, 427:297).  Such considerations  prompt us to  question whether
such black-box deep learning models make a significant contribution to
our scientific  understanding of music, musical  processes and musical
behaviour.

For this special  collection, we seek high  quality contributions that
report on recent  research in which any computational  method has been
used to  advance our understanding  of how  and why music  is created,
communicated and received. We are particularly interested in shining a
light  on computational  methods that  have perhaps  not received  the
attention they  deserve because of  the dominance of deep  learning in
recent years. At  the same time, contributions in  which deep learning
and  other  neural network  models  have  been  shown to  advance  the
scientific understanding of music are also very welcome.

Submissions may  address any  aspect of musical  behaviour, including,
but   not  limited   to,   composition,  improvisation,   performance,
listening, musical gestures and dance. Contributions may also focus on
any  aspects of  music, e.g.,  rhythm, harmony,  melody, counterpoint,
instrumentation  or timbre.  We  likewise set  no  constraints on  the
considered music’s style,  genre, period or place  of origin. However,
the reported work must have  adopted a computational approach that has
led to an advancement in our scientific understanding of music.

We are also  keen to cover a variety of  application areas where music
is put to  use, not only for pure entertainment  or artistic purposes,
but also,  for example, in  healthcare, in rituals and  ceremonies, in
meditation, in film soundtracks or  video games, or even, for example,
in politics  or advertising. We welcome,  in particular, contributions
where a computational  approach has been employed  in conjunction with
methodologies  and knowledge  from other  fields, such  as psychology,
musicology,    sociology,    biology,   physics,    anthropology    or
ethnomusicology.

The deadline for submission of full  manuscripts has been  extended to

         ***12:00 noon GMT on Saturday 1 October 2022.***

Note that there will be no further extensions to this deadline.

Instructions for authors of this Special Collection are available at:
https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/music-science/journal202491#submission-guidelines

We look forward to receiving your submission!

David Meredith
Department of Architecture, Design, and Media Technology, Aalborg
University, Denmark

Anja Volk
Department of Information and Computing Sciences, Utrecht University,
The Netherlands

Tom Collins
Department of Music, University of York, United Kingdom