Re: [AUDITORY] Microphones for HRTF measurement

Dear Isaac,

we have been using MEMS microphones a lot for such purposes, specifically the Knowles SPH1642HT5H. This particular microphone has a top-port configuration, which makes it convenient to solder. Generally, MEMS microphones have good frequency response, distortion and noise specs, which are by now (to my best knowledge) at least as good or better than in electret condenser microphones (ECM) of comparable size. One benefit of MEMS against ECM microphones that should be considered specifically for measurements in the ear is their much lower variation of sensitivity with temperature.
Also, I would like to point out an anthropometric earplug for HRTF/HpTF measurements that holds such a MEMS microphone in place, which Fabian Brinkmann from TU Berlin and myself developed: http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.2574395. It can simply be 3D printed from the published stl files.

Best,
Florian