[AUDITORY] more about illusory words and phrases

Illusory words and phrases have a long history, particularly in the popular media. In the ‘Laurel/Yanny’ and ‘Green needle/Brainstorm’ examples, listeners are presented with two alternatives via written text, and this primes them to hear one or the other. In examples I created using repeating stereo sounds

https://acoustics.org/4pppb2-phantom-words-are-heard-more-frequently-as-coming-from-the-right-side-of-space-diana-deutsch/

listeners recall freely what they heard, and so often ‘hear' several different words or phrases from any one example. Typically the phantom words and phrases are ‘heard’ clearly and distinctly, and they frequently relate to the listener’s personal experience. This is described in detail in my book “Musical Illusions and Phantom Words" (OUP):

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/musical-illusions-and-phantom-words-9780190206833?cc=us&lang=en&

 Stay safe and well -

 - Diana

Professor Diana Deutsch