Re: [AUDITORY] First Virtual Conference on Computational Audiology (VCCA): June 19, 2020

Dear all,

After receiving requests for a little more time to finish preparations, we have extended the abstract submission period for the VCCA 2020 conference until Friday June 5 for sending in a last-minute submission. Notification of abstract acceptance remains on June 10.

Updates

  • Award for best initiative: We will provide a hearX Self Test Kit worth $1500 for the best initiative (blog, presentation, project, etc) on computational audiology that has/will been carried out in the period April 1 until July 15 (including June 19). The prize includes a Hardware set D, a small 1 year subscription and shipping.
  • We are overwhelmed by the great abstracts and videos that are submitted for the VCCA2020 conference! Have a look at the already submitted abstracts for VCCA2020 and the high-quality video-clips that are uploaded along with some of the abstracts. Please, use the comment function to ask questions and provide suggestions. Anybody can leave a comment, after providing your name and a valid-email address. Visitors can upvote or downvote a comment. Comments only appear on the website after approval by the moderators. See this page for an example comment thread.

Over the last months we have monitored the feedback and advice from other virtual conferences which has led us to the following insights (Parncutt, Sloan Review):

  • technical problems are very hard to avoid, whatever the platform we choose. Issues with audio and video may seriously affect presentations;
  • presenters not used to operating in the virtual domain are often more anxious that they would already be for a ‘live’ performance;
  • the attention span for participants of a virtual conference is significantly shorter than for a live conference;
  • we would like to offer as much room as possible for interaction between presenters and participants;
  • we will organize short breaks and intermezzos to stimulate everybody’s attention and engagement.

Given these insights and the options the virtual world offers we have chosen to offer time slots of 5 or 10 minutes for accepted abstracts:

  • Option 1) 2-minutes recording, 3 minutes comments by presenter, e.g. to provide details and progressive insight, 5 minutes Q&A
  • Option 2) 2-minutes live or 2-minutes recording, 3 minutes Q&A

For featured talks (on main topics) we schedule 15 minutes + 5 minutes Q&A. We give featured talks relatively more presentation time so the presenter can introduce to the main topic to the audience.

We realize it is a challenge for the presenters to condense their material in such a short time slot. For this reason, we offer the option to record and upload longer presentations or background material to the website that can be viewed before or after the conference. The content you provide can be further edited and improved (or removed on request) after the conference. As mentioned above visitors of the website have the option to add comments and questions or may try to get in touch to continue the discussion well after the meeting.

We hope this way you can have a meeting during which we discuss the latest developments and insights. This format will provide you the opportunity to get feedback, improve your project, and build your network. The website www.computational audiology.com plays a central role in our philosophy: to create a discussion platform. Intellectual exchange is not expected to be confined to the conference dates. We approach this as an event that runs from the-save-the-date mailing  (released on April 26) until at least a month after the virtual meeting on June 19. If successful and appreciated, we will investigate ways to extend the conference impact, perhaps with a regular recurrence among rotating hosts.

The VCCA2020 Conference is supported by the Radboudumc, Radboud University, the University of Pretoria, the Washington University in st. Louis, Cincinnati Children's, and the UCI Center for Hearing Research. We thank our sponsors for supporting our young scientist award and best initiative award and for making the virtual Conference possible!

Best regards,

The organizing committee,

Yağmur Güçlütürk, Peter van Hengel, Emmanuel Mylanus, Jan de Laat, Alex Tichter, and Jan-Willem Wasmann