[AUDITORY] Missing fundamental perception in birds

Dear List,

Is anyone aware of papers demonstrating perception of the missing fundamental in birds?  There is a nice study by Cynx and Shapiro in 1986 (cited below), but a concern about that study is that birds have distortion-product otoacoustic emissions, which means that the missing fundamental may not have been missing (I am grateful to Malinda McPherson for bringing this point to my attention: see: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562659/  and https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0378595595000537 )

Cynx, J., & Shapiro, M. (1986). Perception of missing fundamental by a species of songbird (Sturnus vulgaris). Journal of Comparative Psychology, 100(4), 356-360.

Thanks,

Ani Patel

Aniruddh D. Patel

Professor, Dept. of Psychology, Tufts University

CIFAR Fellow, Azrieli Program in Brain, Mind, & Consciousness

http://ase.tufts.edu/psychology/people/patel/