Re: [AUDITORY] Research in Auditory Processing

HI John,

Just a quick ( and possibly naïve) thought:

It seems to me that what you describe is a sonification of a visualisation – a representation of a representation. Fair enough.

But I’m not sure that it’s as intuitive to equate higher pitch= greater quantity. I mean, I can grasp it visually (I suppose one could try for an evolutionary argument – a higher pile= a greater quantity, or some such).

Also, in your example of larger data values represented with increased height; yes, but “larger” in this context means “relative to other data values currently presented” – a bargraph is good for that kind of simultaneous presentation. I’m not sure how well this translates to the simultaneous sonified presentation of comparative data?

I could see how the graph could be presented non-simultaneously – scrolling left to right, we hear pitch rise and fall. So in this case, comparative data has been translated to pitch change direction – over time.

In respect of your question, I have a hunch that there is a learning effect here, and people who (for instance) have often worked with visual representations of sound (as in DAWs) will readily grasp the “more=higher” concept, than others (even musicians-but-without-production expertise).

Dr. Peter Lennox SFHEA

Senior Lecturer in Perception

College of Arts, Humanities and Education

School of Arts

e: p.lennox@xxxxxxxxxxx

t: 01332 593155

https://derby.academia.edu/peterlennox