Re: [AUDITORY] Research in Auditory Processing

Hello

On 11/03/19 13:01, Peter Lennox wrote:
> But I’m not sure that it’s as intuitive to equate higher pitch= greater quantity. I mean, I can grasp it visually (I suppose one could try for an
> evolutionary argument – a higher pile= a greater quantity, or some such).

I am all for the evolutionary argument! In fact if you see this from a physical perspective (us living in a world) then larger bodies make lower
sounds. So the relation high = large cannot be linked to a predominant world experience (besides for musicians - see Neuhoff 2002 (:-) - but also for
musicians a high note is produced by a smaller instrument, so it depends on the context the person uses to interpret the data). For visual
presentations it seems hard to find situations where you need to look up for something smaller.

Best
Axel

--
Axel Roebel