[AUDITORY] Job opportunity: Lecturer A/B in Audio

Dear Auditory List,

Please see a job opportunity below. Please feel free to forward to anyone who may be interested. Apologies for cross-posting.

Best regards,
   Enzo De Sena

================

Lecturer A/B in Audio

University of Surrey
Guildford
UK

Salary: 	£39,324 to £46,924 per annum
Post Type: 	Full Time
Advert Placed: 	Thursday 08 June 2017
Closing Date: 	Tuesday 11 July 2017
Interview Date: 	Thursday 27 July 2017
Reference: 	043817

We are seeking applications for the post of Lecturer in Audio, to be based in the Department of Music and Media’s Institute of Sound Recording (IoSR).  We are looking for an enthusiastic academic to teach and support the delivery of the undergraduate BMus/BSc Tonmeister® programme in Music and Sound Recording, and to conduct world-leading research.

The successful applicantwill teach on the prestigious Tonmeister undergraduate programme, covering two or more of the following areas: audio programming, computer audio systems, electronics, loudspeaker design theory, and research methods. You will be joining a supportive and varied team of lecturers drawn from both academic and respected industry backgrounds. The programme has a small cohort of high quality students, enabling a highly collegiate environment between staff and students. Our students are highly motivated and have a strong background in music, maths and physics.

You will have a strong research profile and/or the potential to develop and sustain research activities, with a clear vision for how your research will progress and an idea of how it might feed into or complement the IoSR's goals of engineering perceptually-motivated audio signal analysis, processing and control systems. You will be encouraged to develop your own research profile and to produce high-quality research outputs, including books, academic journal articles or other appropriate forms of research output.

BACKGROUND

Running since 1970, the Tonmeister programme is unique in the way that it combines study of audio engineering, music, and practical sound recording.  It has produced a stream of successful alumni, including winners of Oscars, Grammys and the Mercury Prize. Our graduates work across a wide cross-section of the audio industry, from product design to film music composition, and this alumnus network enables us to call upon current industry expertise in many areas.  Alumni are very keen to give something back to the programme, and our biennial reunion is an excellent networking opportunity.  The programme includes a Professional Training Year, and we have regular placements with many high-profile companies including Abbey Road Studios, Focusrite/Novation and Sky Post-Production.

Research in the IoSR focuses on human perception of audio quality and uses this focus to engineer perceptually-motivated signal analysis, processing and control systems. We have projects funded by EPSRC, the European Commission and industrial collaborators, involving human listening tests, acoustic measurement, statistical modelling and digital signal processing. Current work is, for example, developing systems for spatial enhancement of object-based audio reproduction, perceptually-optimised sound source separation and timbral perception modelling.

There is opportunity to collaborate with many groups across the University; previous and current projects involved the Department of Psychology, the Centre for Vision, Speech and Signal Processing (CVSSP), and colleagues in Music.

Recent development of programmes in Digital Media Arts, and Film and Video Production Technology, have resulted in a significant hub of research and teaching at Surrey in the area of media-related engineering, technology and production.

The Department of Music and Media hosts a wide range of concerts, regular research conferences and colloquia (including hosting the Audio Engineering Society international conference on Sound Field Control in July 2016 and the 14thInternational Conference on Latent Variable Analysis and Signal Separation in July 2018), as well as a thriving community of postgraduate research students.

The facilities available in the IoSR for teaching and research include: 3 recording studios containing industry standard equipment including consoles from AMS-Neve and SSL; over 100 microphones for recording and technical measurement; an ITU-R BS 1116 standard listening room containing a 22.2 reproduction system; and a range of test and measurement hardware and software.  The Department is home to the Moog Sound Lab UK, and benefits from many links with the audio, video and computer games industries.

For an informal discussion you may wish to contact Dr Russell Mason (Tonmeister Programme Director) at r.mason@xxxxxxxxxxxx, or Professor Tony Myatt (Head of Music and Media) at t.myatt@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

More information available from https://jobs.surrey.ac.uk/vacancy.aspx?ref=043817

--
Enzo De Sena, PhD