Re: [AUDITORY] melodic movies

Dear list members

Ani, thanks for sharing this fascinating website with Indian Ragas  on Febr. 28 2017, where the singing is analyzed and visualized in real time!

It is very nicely done, indeed. Yet, different from you, Jim, I do not think that these analyses are "error free", since they use praat to calculate pitch out of the signal. This is one way to do it, yet, there are other possibilities, see e.g.,

Hess, W. (1983). Pitch determination of speech signals: Algorithms and devices. New York: Springer.

Praat is a fantastic and powerful tool! It is optimized for speech sounds, and pitch analysis is done with one single algorithm! Depending on the signal, there could be more suitable ones.

My impression is that some people are not aware that pitch is not very well defined. Various algorithms may yield various results. Any calculation and visualization of pitch in a signal is an approximation by the use of a specific algorithm.

In our research on children's singing, we analyze pitch at the basis of a program that offers two different algorithms, both selected for the typical sound quality of singing of and for children, e.g., without vibrato. This program and related instructions are available here for free:

http://mmatools.sourceforge.net/

Have fun and enjoy!
Stefanie Stadler Elmer

--

Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Stefanie Stadler Elmer

- University of Zürich

http://www.psychologie.uzh.ch/institut/angehoerige/dozierende/stadler.html

- Schwyz University of Teacher Education, www.phsz.ch

+41 41 859 05 75