auditory user interface for avalanche safety products

A local company in Boulder, Colorado, USA,  is interested in finding someone with a particular expertise in sound to help with the following.  Please contact the company directly.

SUMMARY

Backcountry Access (BCA) is a leading manufacturer of avalanche safety products, including the Tracker3 avalanche rescue transceiver. We are looking for a sound user interface consultant to help us develop a new "sound package" for the Tracker3, on a contract basis. This sound package would be offered to consumers and professionals as part of our software upgrade in the summer of 2015.

DESIGN BRIEF

Device and user demographics

The Tracker3 ( http://www.backcountryaccess.com/product/tracker-3/ ) is an avalanche transceiver (or "beacon"), which is a lifesaving device for professionals and recreational users. Male and female age range 15-65. Professionals range from military to ski patrol and search-and-rescue personnel, including mountain guides. Recreational users have strong outdoor focus in action sports such as backcountry skiing, climbing and mountain biking.

Application of sounds

Current sounds have poor consumer reception in demographics, hence existing device needs to have an updatable set of sounds. There will be three sound packages, of which one will be the current sound package in our existing Tracker2 transceiver. This will be for consumers who formerly owned this older product and are used to its interface. The third sound package is the one for which we are seeking assistance.

Consumer feedback on current sound package

Too playful, video game-like, does not reflect the serious nature of avalanche rescue.

Audio: One of the more noticeable aspects of the Tracker3 is its audio—a "Space Invaders" sound generator that users either adore or despise. Different "1980's – style" sounds are emitted when you power up or down, change between search and transmit modes, and during the fine search (the final phase of the search process). More information on the phases of a transceiver search can be found here:

 http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/rescue_searching.asp#fine_search>./

The nature of this sound package also does not reflect the Tracker's position in the market as having robust, real-time feedback. The new sounds need to be perceived as fast, clean, and immediate.

Required Sounds

Sound when beacon is turned on;

Sound when switching to search;

Sound when mode button is pushed down;

Sound when mode button is released;

First half of transmit sound;

Second half of transmit sound;

Sound when unit turns off.

User interface

UI steps can not be changed for this project. For an overview of our user interface, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7amLvIxPseI

For the Tracker3 existing sound files, please contact Toni Leskela at Toni.Leskela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Format of sounds

All digital formats are acceptable: Mp3, avi, Wav etc…

Compensation

Compensation can be done via billing, as contractor or with product depending on contractor's preferences.

Contact person

Toni Leskela

Toni.Leskela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone# (303)523-4350