Re: Python from Matlab

Some other scientific Python environments similar to Matlab and potentially easier to get the hang of than Eclipse are PyCharm and Spyder. The latter comes bundled with the Python(x,y) or Anaconda distributions which make installing Python and all the scientific packages trivially easy (xy on 32 bit Windows only).

PyCharm: http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/
Python(x,y): http://code.google.com/p/pythonxy/
Anaconda: http://continuum.io/downloads

One potentially useful tool included in those distributions is the IPython notebook. This is worth reading about if you haven't come across it. It lets you mix documentation, code and results together in one place (similar to Mathematica for those who know it), which is a great way to organise work and collaborate.

Dan