String sounds

Hello,

For a consonance / dissonance study I plan to use string sounds from which I could build up chords. I want to do the programming in Matlab. I want to use string sounds (instead of piano) because they allow for longer durations, and because they feature a nice and undistorted spectrum of overtones (piano overtones are rather distorted). I need to find a free database of violin etc. sounds of several seconds for all pitches (best would be: all semitones). I would do the interpolating in order to get intermediate pitches in Matlab. If sounds are longer than needed I would fade them out as I need it.

Is there any freely available database of string sounds?

Thanks for your help,
Chris
----
Christian Kaernbach