Re: That old chestnut ...

On 15 Oct 2010 at 14:27, Stuart Rosen wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck in trying to control ~all~ of the sound volume
> controls from Matlab in Windows 7. There appears to be an over-riding
> volume control not readily accessible within a particular application
> window.

I'm not a Matlab user, but the normal way Win7 handles
audio is that everything is "virtualized".  Each open app
gets a share of the virtual pie.  If you right-click the
speaker icon in the system tray and select "Open Volume
Mixer" you'll see a master control on the left marked
"Device - Speakers", then one marked "System Sounds", and
then a separate fader for each open app.  I assume Matlab
has its own fader here, and is unable to control the
others.  (My understanding is that Win7 does provide a way
to allow developers to gain total control, but it's not
normally done.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Bob Masta

            D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
           www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator
    Science with your sound card!