Re: Loud music - examples

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Van Besouw R.M. wrote:

> I think it would be a sad day if every store, restaurant and bar were
> silent. Re: outdoor concert - surely people like me go to these to be
> 'bombarded' with music ;-)

Are there any studies on music listening habits of people? For me,
"background listening" does not exist. I either concentrate on the music
or on what I'm doing. That is, in a store I simply ingore the music - or
find it annoying at most. But for my girlfriend, listening to music is
always parallel with some activity such as cooking. She said she couldn't
do what I'm doing: sitting in a chair with headphones on and eyes closed.
Is it a gender difference (i.e. women can concentrate on more things at
the same time), or is there any other general thing that can be said in
this respect?

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *   "Failure only begins
     e-mail: tothl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            *    when you stop trying"
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *