Von: mccabem@xxxxxxx
Datum: 25.09.2010 22:54
An: <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: Dissonance with integration?

Martin,

I think you are forgetting the importance of mental states and priming in
music perception.  Certainly there are biological "bottom-up" processes
that you suggest below, but i think we are using the same words in
different languages here...

"Pitch" and "chroma" to me are nameable bits of musical information -
without higher order cognitive functions, pitch and chroma cannot be
categorized or sorted -- or indeed, even recognized.  species with more
highly developed cognitive function have octave recognition, others do
not...  it's escaping me who did the study on Tamarins' preferences for
consonance/dissonance...

i think you are referring to the auditory system's capability of
extracting surface-level features such as frequency relationships and
harmonicity -- "Pitch" is a cultural phenomenon, as Kevin has suggested.
Frequencies and harmonic relationships are, more or less "physics" that is
processed by the auditory pathway until its arrival at the auditory
cortex.

speaking of which -- have you read the paper about plasticity in tonotopic
maps?  perhaps this has something to do with perception about consonance
and dissonance.  i'll see if i can find it... the finding was that in A1
the tonotopic map is not organized as once thought, is different across
individuals, and has L/R/ lateralization differences...

are we speaking about consonance as "Harmonically related" and dissonance
as "not harmonically related"?  i can see that as a point of confusion
between disciplines.

I agree that there are hard-wired responses to acoustic phenomena
(fight/flight/etc), but music is, for the most part, unnatural.  Using
comparisons to animal calls is interesting, but at the end of the day, not
the same thing.  without cognitive processes such as memory, music
perception would be fleeting.  Mental state has as much to do with
receiving musical information as the timbral content of the sound...
regardless of the style or level of dissonance the particular culture has
imparted on particular organizations of sounds -- also a "top-down"
process.

i guess i'm confused as to why it can't be looked at both ways...

-m

Reinhart Frosch,
CH-5200 Brugg.
reinifrosch@xxxxxxxxxx .