Hearing Assist Technologies

hi everyone,

i've been charged with assessing how to expand our hearing assist system in our concert hall. we currently have infrared transmitters, and a number of headsets that use loop-induction and earbud-type amplification, but our campus accessibility officer isn't too keen on those things and feels that they don't serve those with more severe hearing deficits.

does anyone know of other technologies that can help people beyond those with mild to moderate hearing loss?

my first thought is bone conduction headphones, which could serve those with conductive hearing loss, and possibly people with cochlear implants. the up side to those is that they do not cover the ears, so individuals with in-ear hearing aids could use them too -- and they are considerably more comfortable than earbuds (i love mine for air travel!)

any other technology or ideas out there for helping the hearing impaired recieve concert-hall sound? is there research on this topic?

-m

---
dr. matthew mccabe  <mccabe_matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
visiting assistant professor  ::  music technology  ::  columbus state university
office:  schwob school of music 2706  ::  phone:  706-452-1337 :: fax 706-256-9555