Re: New Book: See What I'm Saying

Hi Larry,

I checked out the link to your book on Amazon, and it looks interesting!

> auditory list members might be interested in using the book for teaching,
> and as a way to update their knowledge on some of the most exciting findings
> in the smell, taste, touch and sight literatures.

Since you are posting on an auditory list and in your book describe the
amazing echolocation skills of Daniel Kish as well as discuss sensory
substitution through the tactile modality as pursued by Paul Bach-y-Rita,
you might also be interested in research at the cross-roads of all this
in the form of auditory displays for the blind: www.seeingwithsound.com

A few recent - as of 2007 - publications based on this are appended, in
reverse chronological order.

Best regards,

Peter Meijer

Seeing with Sound - The vOICe
http://www.seeingwithsound.com

J. Ward and P. Meijer, ``Visual Experiences in the Blind induced by an
Auditory Sensory Substitution Device,'' Consciousness and Cognition,
March 2010.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.concog.2009.10.006

J.-K. Kim and R. J. Zatorre, ``Can you hear shapes you touch?'',
Experimental Brain Research, February 2010 (in press).

http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00221-010-2178-6

L. B. Merabet, L. Battelli, S. Obretenova, S. Maguire, P. Meijer and A.
Pascual-Leone, ``Functional recruitment of visual cortex for sound encoded
object identification in the blind,'' Neuroreport, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.
132-138, January 2009.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/WNR.0b013e32832104dc

M. J. Proulx, P. Stoerig, E. Ludowig and I. Knoll, ``Seeing 'Where' through
the Ears: Effects of Learning-by-Doing and Long-Term Sensory Deprivation on
Localization Based on Image-to-Sound Substitution,'' PLoS ONE, Vol. 3,
No. 3, March 2008, e1840.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0001840

J.-K. Kim and R. J. Zatorre, ``Generalized learning of visual-to-auditory
substitution in sighted individuals,'' Brain Research, Vol. 242, pp.
263-275, 2008.

http://www.zlab.mcgill.ca/docs/Kim_and_Zatorre%202008.pdf

A. Amedi, W. Stern, J. A. Camprodon, F. Bermpohl, L. Merabet, S. Rotman, C.
Hemond, P. Meijer and A. Pascual-Leone, ``Shape conveyed by visual-
to-auditory sensory substitution activates the lateral occipital
complex,'' Nature Neuroscience, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 687 - 689, June 2007.

http://physiology.huji.ac.il/pdf/amedi/Amedi_at_al_vOICe_Nature_Neuroscience07.pdf

M. Auvray, S. Hanneton and J. K. O'Regan, ``Learning to perceive witha
visuo-auditory substitution system: Localisation and object recognition
with ‘The vOICe’,'' Perception, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 416–430, 2007.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1068/p5631