Re: mechanical cochlear model

Hello Dick,

I was present at the 2008 Mechanics-of-Hearing workshop
at Keele University; in my opinion you have not lost touch.

Nevertheless, up to now I do not agree with your statement
"[...] the fluid has to have some place to go" (see below).
The fluid is compressible, it can and does change its local density
and thus it propagates "ordinary" (compression) sound waves.
As mentioned before, I think that at low frequency the oscillation
propagates through the basal part of the cochlear channel
mainly via such a sound wave. The low-frequency slow travelling wave is
suppressed near the base, because it is "tsunami-like", i.e., it represents
a "long-wave" case, with liquid-particle motion down to the floor and
up to the roof of the cochlear channel. At the floor near the base,
however, the soft round window prevents the build-up of a
significant liquid sound-pressure.

Experimental evidence: e.g., Fig. 2 of Shera (2001), "Frequency glides in
click responses ...", JASA 109, 2023-2034, based on data of Recio and
Rhode (2000; see below); for the low-frequency components of the click,
the delay is found to be shorter than that expected for a "slow" cochlear
travelling wave starting at the base.

In Fig. 3 of Recio and Rhode (2000), "Basilar membrane responses to broadband
stimuli", JASA 108, 2281-2295, one sees that a click with 30-nm first-peak umbo
displacement towards the inside of the cochlea causes, at the 5.5-kHz best
place of the chinchilla cochlea, an initial BM displacement (towards scala tympani)
which on the diagram looks small but is easily calculated to
amount to as much as 100 nm. The delay from umbo to BM onset is only
48 microseconds, too short for a "slow" cochlear travelling wave starting at the
base. That initial BM displacement could however be caused by a sound wave
from the stapes to the considered place of the BM.

Very preliminary conjecture: If one blocks the round window, then tsunami-
like slow waves are possible, leading to increased hearing loss after high-level
sound.

Reinhart.