Re: mechanical cochlear model

The concept that the passive inner ear mechanism does not conduct energy
as a fast pressure wave (with long wavelength) may be true - however not
everyone agrees on this point. I believe that you are talking about the
coupling between the outer ear and the inner ear below - and thus the
passive action of the hearing system.

The concept that the active inner ear mechanism is an active travelling
wave seems a little impossible (from what people have discussed
previously - experimental evidence and theory) for any location other
then the base of the inner ear. I stand on record as the first for
claiming that the base is dominated by the active travelling wave and
the mid/apex is dominated by the active long pressure wave (my
compression wave cochlear-amplifier definition).

Matt