Re: mechanical cochlear model

Hello everyone,

Rather a large scale model, we built a one-to-one scale model of the
human cochlea using silicone etching techniques. The orthotropic
basilar membrane was put into a chamber with fluid on both sides.
We show that in this passive model, there is a traveling wave.
The reference is:

Wittbrodt, M.J., Steele, C.R., Puria, S. (2006), “Developing a physical model of the human cochlea using micro-fabricated methods.” Audiology-Neurotology 11(2): 104-12.

Karl Grosh and his student have also built a physical model of the cochlea.
The reference for that is:

White RD, Grosh K: Microengineered hydromechanical cochlear model. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2005; 102: 1296-1301.