Re: need recommendation on PC sound card

Hi Rob,

for most uses any sound card from the semi-pro market should be sufficient. Look for manufacturers such as M-Audio, E-mu, Lexicon, PreSonus, MOTU, Tascam), or simply go to an online store such as http://www.sweetwater.com, http://www.musiciansfriend.com, http://www.zzounds.com/, and look for recording interfaces. Any of these should support 44.1-48 kHz at 16-bit with stereo line level input and output, but if you need more inputs or outputs, another kind of output (mic preamp, instrument level, headphone), analog volume controls, higher sampling rates or bit depths, then there will still a lot of options, but read the specs.

As for external vs. internal - these days decent internal cards are usually very immune to PC noise it I would not say it's an issue. On the other hand, USB cards in some (rare) configurations may have a little trouble running smoothly, Firewire cards are reported to be more reliable. I took me some time to get my M-Audio FastTrack Pro (a USB card) to run without glitches, whereas none of M-Audio PCI interfaces gave me any problems. On the other hand, external interfaces' audio connections are usually easier to connect - the box in your desk and you don't have to work behind your computer (some PCI cards have external breakout boxes though). Fore some people, an advantage of USB cards is that they tend to have manual analog volume controls and mic preamps.

Hope that helps,

Paweł