Re: Pitch learning

I think that the most challenging instrument to any pitch theories is the gamelan ensemble: partials produced by each metal bloc are inharmonic and the (supposed) fundamental frequencies of the bloc series define an inharmonic scale that varies from gamelan to gamelan, except that they never include simple harmonic ratios. During my studies some time ago I read in a respected source that there are gamelans in which even the octave is missing.

Pierre