Re: Pitch learning

Hi Susan and Linda,

I agree that there is a large degree of variability
in performance intonation. (By saying variability,
I don't mean random
variation ... for masters it is of course expressive).
But huge variations are
also present for Western music played on non-fixed
tuning instruments, such as violin, or in
vocal performance. Every study of which I am aware
confirms this basic point. This, as it sounds like you
would agree, makes the very measurement of
mean frequency suspect. However, it doesn't
mean there is no tuning system.

Is there more variability in Indian or Chinese music?
I don't know. I have never seen a comparative study.

And, by the way, these are empirical issues, not political
ones.

Ed