Re: The auditory continuity phenomenon: tones vs. glides (and other complex sounds)

Take a look at Ciocca & Bregman, Perecption & Psychophysics (1987)
p476-484 "Perceived continuity of gliding and steady-state tones through
interrupting noise"

A quick glance at their Fig 2 suggests that a glide, is, if anything,
judged a slightly less continuous thana steady tone, although they don't
say whether this is significant (note that in their figure small numbers=>
more continuity)

Perhaps if they had rewarded their subjects with bananas, the results
would have been different?

bob