Re: LIE DETECTION / VOCAL STRESS

Mick,

Lie detection is commonly called ‘Voice Stress Analysis’ (VSA), and there are instruments and products available that purport to perform such a function.  Most claim to function by detecting a change in so called ‘micro-tremors’ in the voice – however, the lack of any clear science means that there appears to be considerable confusion as to whether the jitter increases or decreases in lying!  Some of the key references are below.

I recently supervised an MSc project on the detection of ‘deceptive stress’ using a corpus of material we recorded ourselves.  The key to obtaining ‘real’ lying is that there should be ‘perceived jeopardy’.  So, my student designed a knockout card naming game in which winning is only possible by lying from time to time - a monetary prize for the eventual winner provided the incentive to win.  The student found that the lies could be detected above chance using average pitch but not using pitch jitter.

Roger Moore

References

Darren Haddad, Sharon Walter, Roy Ratley, Megan Smith (2002). Investigation and Evaluation of Voice Stress Analysis Technology. The U.S. Department of Justice report (98-LB-VX-A013)

Horvath, F., “Detecting Deception: The Promise and Reality of Voice Stress Analysis,” Journal of Forensic Science, Vol. 27, No.1, Jan. 1980, pp. 340-351

Heisse, J. W., “Audio Stress Analysis—A Validation and Reliability Study of the Psychological Stress Evaluator (PSE)” in Proceedings of the Carnahan Conference on Crime Countermeasures, Lexington, KY, 1976, pp. 5-18

Darren Haddad, Sharon Walter, Roy Ratley, Megan Smith (2002). Investigation and Evaluation of Voice Stress Analysis Technology. The U.S. Department of Justice report (98-LB-VX-A013)

H. Hollien et al, 'Voice Stress Evaluators and Lie Detection', Journal of Forensic Sciences (1987).

Prof ROGER K MOORE BA(Hons) MSc PhD FIOA MIEE

Chair of Spoken Language Processing
Speech and Hearing Research Group (SPandH)
Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield,
Regent Court, 211 Portobello Street, Sheffield, S1 4DP, UK

e-mail: r.k.moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web:    http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~roger/
tel:    +44 (0) 11422 21807
fax:    +44 (0) 11422 21810