Re: Perception of sequential tones as simultaneous tones.

This may be stating the obvious, but if the notes from a chord are
played sequentially, and not necessarily very rapidly, then they will be
heard "as a chord". So, for example, if you play C, E and G
sequentially, you will perceive the chord C major (=CEG). This implies
that the response of the neurons in the cortical map (or maps) that
respond to chords must be somewhat independent of whether the different
tones involved are simultaneous or sequential (and at least some of the
neurons involved must have a response function where the neuron
responding to a particular tone remains active after that tone has
finished). In which case perception of the chord is not a very good
criterion for determining perception of simultaneity. (My guess is that
such a "chord-perception" cortical map actually exists to perceive
relationships between different pitch values within a single speech
melody, and because of how it operates, it just happens to be able to
respond to relationships between simultaneous tones as well.)

Philip Dorrell.

Emilio Renard wrote:

Dear all:

I am a new member of Auditory list. (I´m sorry!, I
don´t speak english, so my english is bad).

I would like know if there is some studies about the
perception of sequentials tones as simultaneous tones.
More specifically, I would like know if a sequence of
two (musical) tones, they very rapid and without
silence between they, can be heard simultaneously, as
a chord. And if it is so, I would like know the
physical conditions for that it occur.

Sincerely, Emilio.

__________________________________________________ Correo Yahoo! Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y antispam ¡gratis! Regístrate ya - http://correo.espanol.yahoo.com/