Re: Definition and Measurement of Harmonicity

The inharmonicity of piano strings is treated in
section 12.3 of the book "The Physics of Musical
Instruments", by Fletcher and Rossing (Springer,
2nd ed. 1998).

The basic equation for the frequency of the k-th
partial tone is:

f[k] = f[1i] * k * (1 + k^2 * B)^0.5 ;

here, f[1i] is the fundamental frequency of an
idealized string that has the same length, mass
and tension as the real string but is infinitely
flexible (i.e., has no stiffness).

B = 0 corresponds to a string without stiffness
and thus to a harmonic complex tone;
B is an "inharmonicity coefficient".

Reinhart Frosch,
(r. Physics Dept., ETH Zurich.)