Spectrogram of formant transition

Dear list,

I need to prepare several figures showing greyscale spectrograms
(sonograms) of vowels and consonant-vowel pairs showing formant
transitions (those typical 'ba', 'da', 'ga' etc.).

I thought it was pretty easy, I recorded my voice and tried to make a nice
looking spectrogram.  I used Adobe Audition, Praat, Audacity and a trial
version of Richard Horne's Spectrogram and never got a clear looking
picture, though I played with various FFT sizes, dynamic ranges, etc. Can
you please advise me on correct settings? Or at least show me the proper
direction?  Thanks in advance,

Pawel Kusmierek

--
Pawel Kusmierek
Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology