Re: Ear impression taking technique?

I teach my students to use the "old school" manual syringes and I find that
I have more control with them.

I tell them that the key is to let the material tell you when to move.  I
place the syringe as far into the ear canal as I can without distorting it,
then I leave it there while I push the plunger until the material is
"forcing" the syringe out of the canal.  Then while the tip is still deeply
into the material, I fill the concha, then the helix, then back to the
center of the concha and just leave the tip there while I fill the concha.
I only remove the tip when all the material is gone.

If you use a steady flow, the impression in the concha will resemble soft
serve ice cream.

 I agree with Andy about the importance of materials.  Find a few that work
for you of varying viscosity so that you can accommodate ears of different
firmness.

Most importantly, give each and every ear impression your undivided
attention. If you do this, your quality will be high and your need to repeat
impressions will be minimal.

Ear Impressions are not difficult to do well, but they are very easy to mess
up!

Best Regards,

Brad Ingrao, M.S.Ed. CCC-A, FAAA
Adjunct Lecturer
Department of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
Northeastern University

(508) 628-5645

e-mail: info@bradingrao.com