Re: Automatic transcription of rhythm - advice requested

Andrew,

For tempo and beat tracking, there is a more recent article by Jean Laroche:
"Efficient tempo and beat tracking in audio recordings", J. Audio Eng. Soc.,
V51, N4, April 2003.

You could also check out the webpages and articles of Anssi Klapuri:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~klap/iiro/

 A difficulty with tempo tracking is that the perceived beat of a piece of
music is often ambiguous.  This is true even for musicians who are
unfamiliar with the notation of a piece to which they are listening.

Also, Fabien Gouyon had a recent paper at the AES convention on classifying
audio tracks as either duple and triple meter:
"Determination of the meter of musical audio signals: Seeking recurrences in
beat segment descriptors.", 114th AES Convention, Paper 5811, Amsterdam
Netherlands, 22-25 March 2003.

Good luck.

Martin McKinney

-------
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)