Re: Automatic transcription of rhythm - advice requested

Andrew,

For rhythm, I've seen these --

Eric Scheirer, "Music-Listening Systems", Ph. D. Thesis, M.I.T.,
June, 2000. I believe there is a JASA article based on this.

Jean Laroche, "Estimating Tempo, Swing and Beat Locations in Audio
Recordings", Proc. 2001 IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal
Processing to Audio and Acoustics (WASPAA01), pp. 135-138 (2001)
ISBN 0-7803-7126-7.

Masataka Goto has done some work in this area.
(http://staff.aist.go.jp/m.goto/)

Avery Wang, "instantaneous and Frequency-Warped Signal Processing
Techniques for Auditory Source Separation", Ph. D. Thesis, Stanford
Univ. (1994).
(ftp://ccrma-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/Publications/Theses/AveryWangThesis)

There are also some theses on separating transients from sinusoids,
e.g., Scott Levine and Tony Verma at Stanford.

------
Jim Beauchamp
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
jwbeauch@uiuc.edu