Re: AUDITORY Digest - 7 Oct 2002 to 8 Oct 2002 (#2002-168)

Dear Auditory,

I would like to make one very obvious point, only because I have not seen
it explicitly stated.

High frequency neurons phase lock just as well as low frequency neurons.
It is just that neurons (regardless of place) do not phase lock to high
frequency tones. Rather they phase lock to modulations.
I am not saying that anyone is confused on this rather obvious point,
I rather want to be sure there is no misunderstanding
of the difference between place and frequency.

Repeating myself:

All neurons, up and down the BM, phase lock equally, to frequencies
up to 4.5 kHz.

I am sure there are better references than this, but here is a good
place to start:

  author = {Allen, J. B.},
  title = {Magnitude and phase-frequency response to single tones in the
       auditory nerve},
  journal = JASA,
  volume = {73},
       number = 6,