Re: cochlear nucleus : Higher level then the audio periphery

There is a cochlear nucleus on both sides of the brain stem and the
cochlear nucleus is made up of several subdivisions that appear to be
specialized to process different types of information.  The cochlear
nuclei receive their major input from the auditory nerve but they also
receive input from their partner on the opposite side and they also
receive input from higher auditory structures and from the somatosensory
system.

The cochlear efferents do not originate in the cochlear nucleus, but
rather from the superior olivary complex.

If you would like to learn more about the details of these systems, I
would recommend reading:

"Integrative Functions in The Mammalian Auditory Pathway." Oertel
D, Fay RR, Popper AN Eds. Springer Handbook for Auditory Research.
Springer, NY (2002).

David C. Mountain, Ph.D.
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Boston University