Re: musical hallucinations

Dear Diana, Bill, and list,

A few years ago I became interested in top-down processes in
auditory perception.  I was aware of an example where a professor
started a piece of music in his class, then gradually raised the
noise and got each student to indicate when he or she could no
longer hear the music.  When the noise was intense, he shut off
the music altogether.  Some students continued to hear the music
for some time. [I don't know the reference for this incident, or
even if it is true, but it is widely cited.]

I asked myself whether the preliminary playing of the music was
really necessary.  It happened that subsequently I was on a
plane, near the engines at the back, in a very noisy spot.  I
told myself that I would hear music -- not just imagine it, but
hear it through my ears.  I listened for the music very hard.  At
first I only heard a couple of notes; eventually, as I strained
to hear what was there, I could hear sustained melodies.  With
repeated practice, hearing the music became less and less
effortful.  To make a long story short, the dominant experiences
were of marching music and male choirs.

I tried it on another occasion with a different kind of noise.
My belief is that the acoustic structure of the noise plays an
important role in the nature of the hallucination, with the brain
constructing interpretations that use the spectral distribution
of the raw auditory experience.  When medication is involved, the
medication  may be triggering tinnitus with specific spectral
characteristics, and the brain tries to interpret the "sound" as
meaningful signals.  One question that occurs to me is where the
rhythm comes from for the marching music.  One's heartbeat would
be a plausible source

Regards,

Al Bregman
Albert S. Bregman, Emeritus Professor